Monday, June 25, 2007

I think I will miss wine...

I am trying to stay away from alcohol for awhile but honestly think I am going to miss it. I noticed that Roni rarely drinks and I do think that has a major effect on weight loss (and gain). For one thing, it’s empty calories. For another, your body does not function at 100% when your liver is busy breaking down alcohol. Which means your metabolism is not at its optimal level — not to mention your brain, sleep, etc.

Thus, I have given it up. Maybe forever. Maybe just for a little while. In the meantime, I have discovered that I have used wine to unwind after work at least a few days of the week. Not much, usually just a glass. Maybe two. But enough to take away my energy and drive to accomplish anything else for the rest of the day. The times I have abstained for a few days, I have found myself with more time, more points, and more energy. It is times like those where I feel I should be out feeding the homeless or trying to cure cancer instead of sitting here counting points and blogging about my weight. I do some volunteer work, but I don’t feel that it is nearly enough. I also want to start doing a daily devotional or Bible study. Maybe as I adjust to having more energy and time I will gradually start adding these things into my routine. I don’t want to be 80 and realize that I spent the majority of my free time in front of the TV or cleaning the house.

What a tangent.

I do think this will be difficult in the beginning but that is the case with any habit change. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Colette said...

Thanks for letting me know you made it here. I am just so glad we will be able to regroup. I LOVED our community esp Roni!! Have a great day girl!!

BB said...

Hi Jenn...glad we can all get together to help each other out while we wait for Roni's blog to be fixed!

dizzydazey said...

Hey Jenn!

I'm glad to see you here! I missed ya'll!! :o)

Janet said...

Hey, Jenn!

I know I miss wine! My doctor recently put me on some medicine that doesn't go well with drinking, so I've been avoiding it (at least until I acclimate to the meds). Of course, part of that is prob my fault since I didn't tell him that I drank when he asked (bad me, but there's a background story there).

Thanks for all your work in gathering links, and I hope to see you back at WW soon!

Janet, aka grancanon "Big and Beautiful"

Superjayman's Battle of the Bulge said...

Glad everyone is able to keep this ww community together!!!

Emily said...

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one that doesn't want to give up alcohol! I made life time 2 years ago and as a college student (I'm 22) alcohol was the biggest road block to loseing weight and continues to be the biggest to maintaining weight loss. I've found what works for me is only eating my allowed points and then using my flex for alchol...I'm sure it's not the healthest way to go but it still fits into the plan and I'm still within 2 pounds of my goal (usually...) I really emjoy your blog- keep up the hard work; it's worth it!